Saturday 19 January 2008

Pre competition practice.

I decided during in the week that how I got on today would govern whether I would shoot in the 100 bird competition on sunday. It has been raining all day so I waited as long as I dared in the hope that it might lift, but at 1 ish I headed to Riseley to get some practice under my belt.

I had my new ballistic Oakley shades to try out and even though it was not ideal conditions I did need to find out how much they would help me. I also made a decision to upgrade my cartridge choice. From now on and until further notice I will be shooting Hull Pro One 8's instead of the standard club cartridge that I have been shooting up until now.

I am so pleased with the change in cartridge. I am not sure whether it is purely psychological or whether they are that much better, but I found I could kill many more birds today than I had previously. I had a great day today, and excelled myself in the "Bay of pigs" especially which I was very pleased with myself about.

I met up with Steve Humpheries who like me was shooting on his own, so we buttoned for each other and I was very fortunate to benefit from his instruction and guidance.

I very much liked his view that I am trying to shoot in the space in front of the clay, and at say 40 yards I have a 3 ft pattern so if I shoot anywhere from 3 foot infront to 3 foot behind I should at least wing the clay. When it is put it terms like that it seems impossible to miss as that sounds like a large "window" to be aiming for. If it was that easy then everyone would straight every stand so I am thinking that there is still more to it!!!

I had a great day as I said, I halved my lead on the tower birds and hit some which was good. I still have a few bad habits to resolve, like stopping the gun on occasion, flicking the gun up as I shoot.... which is obviously bad, and not thinking about each clay and where I am going to kill it. I have some clays that I can't help but kill it seems and others that I never seem to catch up with.

I am happy that tomorrow my score is going to be towards the lower end, but if I can bank something in the 40's it will be ok as my lack of pairs will cost me dear I think.

Roll on tomorrow...

I shoot at Sporting Targets Corporate Entertainment and Clay Pigeon Shooting ground in Bedfordshire.

No comments: