Monday 28 January 2008

Grange Farm Leicestershire

My second competition was something of an eye opener...... I ended up with a 51 which while being worse than at Targets is not too much of a catastrophe.

What it did do was open my eyes to some areas that I need to pay urgent attention to.

Firstly, I am not convinced that I mount the gun in the same place evety time, I believe that I might be holding the stock slightly lower in my shoulder on occasion causing me to shoot over the top of targets. I am not convinced that I am but it might explain why I am on occasion accused of being over the top of stuff.... especially on the towers.

It is something I will watch, to make sure that I am looking up the rib and not down onto the rib as I believe I might do on occasion.

Secondly I seem to have a habit of hitting difficult targets first time by "throwing" the gun at them...... but then when I process what I thought I had done and back engineer my shot I then miss.

This could be due to gun speed, as I try to create the same picture I do so with a slower gun as I improve my stance etc..... this takes away the gun speed as I am no longer pushing through the target..... to in effect try to catch up with it which I usually do on my first shot.

I am going to experiment with trying to shoot targets earlier, gun down also and use gun speed to kill the bird...... It is going to be a skill that I will need to learn, but my basic instinct seems ok when I first go for a target, it is only when I think about it that I cock it up.

This is a common problem apparently, but I intent to resolve it sooner rather than later.

I shoot at Sporting Targets Corporate Entertainment and Clay Pigeon Shooting ground in Bedfordshire.

No comments: