Monday 14 January 2008

My mental Debrief

So I have been thinking about why I had such a problem with the high tower on saturday. With the benefit of hindsight I was in the cage when I shot the tower well, so that wasn't the issue after all.

I now think that I was giving the clays too much lead as I had done when it had been windier. On Saturday it was a calm day and so I am thinking that the clay was moving slower than it had been previously. That would explain why I couldn't find the sweet spot by moving further in front. I think I was too far in front to start with.

I will try to adopt Steve Leonards strategy of giving it what you think, if you miss double it, if you miss aim at the clay...... If I had done that I would probably have found it.

Frustrating that I couldn't work through that thought process at the time. It is much like my Karting days, it would be the Tuesday after the race before I had fully debriefed myself and had a plan to fix any issues from the race.

I need to continue practicing my set up routine so that it becomes second nature, while watching for me lifting my cheek off the stock prematurely and stopping the gun. They are my too biggest issues currently I think, the stopping the gun sometimes when I pull the trigger is a bit awkward..... almost as if I can't multitask!!

There is a hundred birder shooting competition this coming Sunday and I am seriously considering entering so that I can start to gauge exactly where I am.

I am not expecting great things as there are still many birds I struggle with and pairs often pose a problem, especially simultaneous ones.

I am undecided, but realistically if I could get my first score in the 40's I wouldn't be too disappointed. I would love to be cocky at this point and say 60's, but there are so many birds that I struggle with that I could easily have ten shots at a target and miss them all like on Saturday with the tower so I think a 40's score will do to begin with.

No comments: