Tuesday 8 January 2008

Am I improving?

That is a difficult question to answer. On the one had I think I am as I am now hitting more clays, but on the other I seem to just be swapping bad habits for new bad habits. My latest thing is to get "on" a clay but then rather than pulling the trigger I seem to take half a second to double check that I am right by which time I am wrong!

It is very frustrating at times, but then I am impatient to get to a level of competancy that I am happy with. I still look at most clays and have little idea as to what I should be giving it in terms of lead or not. So if I miss the same clay several times I end up experimenting trying to find out where the sweet spot is. This is of course a good thing, because if you are missing it where you are currently trying to shoot it then there is little point doing the same thing again because the result will be the same. To quote Steve Leonard..... who I think was quoting George Digweed..... "give it 2 ft, if you miss give it 4 ft, if you miss aim at it" which strikes me as sound advice as it should be coming from both of them.

I am currently working on the theory that if I shoot often enough then I will accumulate enough knowledge in time that I will learn to read a clay and hence have some idea of where to start off trying to kill it....... if it doesn't work like that then I am never going to be any good!

No comments: