Monday 21 January 2008

My First Competition

So I have completed my first 100 bird shooting competition. It was fantastic even if I say so myself. 59/100 was 20 more than I was expecting!

I have to admit I was a little unsure if I was starting too early, but I fine having a value attached to my performance allows me to improve. The competition provided a variety of targets that I had never seen before so they were very challenging.

I started with a 3/8 on some incoming simultaneous pairs that I really should have done better. Next was the best moment of my shooting career to date. 8/8 on the platform with the first bird being a quartering dropper that looks impossible but seemed to suit me.

I followed that stand up with a disaster on the next, a low left right quartering away and down into the ground and then a similar bird right to left that hit a low bank. I had cheekily had 8 shots the day before as I was finishing my practice and had hit 6/8 as singles so was quite confident that on report I would hit at least half of them...... it wasn't like that at all, I had a nightmare and only hit 1/8 though at least I did hit my last bird to avoid blanking the stand!

The next few stands were ok, I hit 7/8 rabbits on report which was great as I often struggle with rabbits.

Some tower birds were tricky, I had the same problem with twisting my body and dropping my shoulder in the process. The stand was acceptable though as was the next at the top of the embankment a looper I think and a right left quite high..... I should have done better here as I hit some early on and then missed too many, but all in all the first half was not too bad at all.

I shoot at Sporting Targets Corporate Entertainment and Clay Pigeon Shooting ground in Bedfordshire.

No comments: