Friday 11 January 2008

My first proper go at skeet

I head up to the Skeet Range at Sporting Targets for the first time. I have very little experience with two birds on report (one after the other) or simultaneous..... as a consequence I am a little concerned about how I will get on with skeet.

I am assured that it is a good place to practice as it is quite fast and also offers a wide variety of target from each of the stands.

I had mixed results to be frank, starting with 3 out of 4 on the first stand, and rapidly going downhill on stands two and three. The middle stand is without doubt the most taxing as both clays are crossers at there fastest.

When I go to the last stand stood right by the traphouse I experienced what must be the cruelest of all shooting related actions. With my first shot I killed both clays...... now to me this was clearly an act of genius....... I expected a ticker tape parade ........... drinks in the clubhouse...... the shooting equivalent of a hole in one in my mind. But no, it is not a good thing, quite the reverse, imagine getting a hole in one playing golf and being told that it doesn't count and you have to take your shot again...................

Gutted is the only word to describe my feeling at the time..........

In spite of this I do think that skeet is a good practice activity along with sporting compac which to be honest I currently prefer.

Tomorrow I am back for more ..... well if it isn't snowing!

No comments: