Sunday 10 February 2008

Practice on Saturday

All things considered I think practice went quite well. I was with Randall which I find works well as we are quite similar skill level at Clay Pigeon shooting so we push each other to do better.

We started with a round of skeet. I scored a 14 which isn't very good, but I was trying to shoot everything above the DTL trap house. I struggle to shoot early so it didn't come easy and I found that I was stopping my gun over the DTL which was causing me to miss. Some helpful comments from some of the more experienced skeet shooters who were waiting their turn would help me out when we returned for the second round. Incidently Randall scored 23..... his best ever skeet score...... very impressive.

We next tried the compac in the basin. I scored 13 and Randall scored 12.... I was glad to beat him, but our low scores reflected the difficulty of the targets. The F bird comong overhead from behind is now a mini.. 2 inch clay which is a bit of a swine, but very satisfying when you hit it!

We headed back to the skeet again and I tried my best to put into practice everything I had learnt in the first round. It seems to have had some effect as I scored a 19 which I was very happy with..... Randall on the other hand was disappointed with his 18 as he normally gets in the 20's...... I think that I can put him under pressure when I go first..... he doesn't seem to shoot as well as when he goes first........

I was very pleased with the skeet so we headed back to the compac in the 122. A bird was not available so we returned to the basin for another compac, both doing slightly better with a 15 for Randall and a 16 for me. The basin is currently quite a challenge using the top board....... we have yet to be brave enough to try the bottom board which has some very tricky targets on it.

All in all a good practice and I feel that I am improving at skeet at a reasonable rate. In addition my shoulders don't seem to be suffering as much as they did last week so with a couple of weeks off they might recover completely.

I shoot at Sporting Targets Corporate Entertainment and Clay Pigeon Shooting ground in Bedfordshire.

No comments: