Sunday 27 April 2008

Sunday Practice at Sporting targets

I decided to spend the day practicing the main targets on my shit list. Heading up the range to the quarry to Shoot the climbing quartering arking bird that I have struggled with. Unfortunately it has been changed slightly this week and is now less arking, crosses more to the right and drops within my shooting zone. This made the target easier as I could kill it by just shooting below it, although Randy hit the first three he took on as report pairs and then missed 6 or 8 after that... which we both found very strange. He gave up and walked away from it, but I took on the competition pair of the right left along the top of the bank followed by the quartering bird..... I managed ok killing most of them.

I was disappointed that the bogey bird had been reset, but such is life. I will get more practice on similar birds in due course. On the upside I can't fixate on practicing a bird that no longer exists!

We moved on to skeet and with my first round of 16 against Randys 22 I wasn't optimistic, but relaxed and we shot a second round. I dropped the low in the pair on stand 1 and the repeat too which pissed me off. After that I concentrated as best as I could and straighted stand 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6 which has been my bogey stand in the past. Moving onto the last stand, I missed the very last bird, the high from the pair....... a great shame as a 23 would have been fantastic. Still, a 22 is a new personal best and 2 better than before.

We moved onto the embankment to practice the low fast quartering birds. Making our own stand to get the angles right I ended up killing them as a simo pair which almost blew my mind as they are very quick and there is half the time I would have liked!

Randy practiced the pair as singles and then together, which he did ok considering that he doesn't shoot much sporting and these are some of the toughest in my opinion.

I had two cartridges left so took on the simo pair again..... and killed them which was great. I think that I have taken a step forward and think that it might be related to Seans Wednesday assistance. I have spent the day ignoring the gun barrel and looking to the target. I have also felt that I have been less analytical than before.

Time will tell

No comments: