Friday 25 April 2008

The learning process continues

I have spent all week trying to work out in my mind how to hit the bogey targets that I always miss.

I shot Sporting Targets Clay Pigeon Shoot last Sunday and thought I was on for a new personal best until the wheels fell off!

It is always the same birds that I miss, so drop a whole stand when I do. It is the quartering bird that rises and curls as well as fast low quartering birds.

On Wednesday evening I took 100 cartridges and headed for the last stand n the previous competition in order to sort the problem out. I had Sean from Targets along as he offered his help, so I was optimistic of success.

I finished the evening as frustrated as I was at the outset, I only hit the target 3 or four times out of 20+ shots, and when I hit it is was because Sean told me to aim behind it and to the right (5 o'clock ish) My brain can't work out why this target needs to be shot somewhere that it doesn't even travel to..... but having shot it I can only say that it does. I would naturally be in front of the target, at about 2 o'clock and giving the bird a foot or two of lead, shooting well before the bird reached its peak. That is how I read the target, based on how I read other targets that I can hit. It seems totally wrong though as I didn't hit a single one using my own talent!

Being told where to hit it is one thing, but I want to know why it needs to be shot there as it makes no sense to me at all. I keep getting told that it will fall into place, but no one seems capable of explaining why this bird needs something totally different to any other bird.

I am stumped and intend to throw hundreds of cartridges at the problem on Sunday morning in order to sort it out in my head.

I feel like everyone is hiding some important fact from me........ otherwise they would explain it to me... surely??

No comments: