Thursday 13 December 2007

Lesson 1 part 3.............................

The towers at Sporting Targets Clay Pigeon Shooting ground are not only unusual, but also rather challenging. There are only a few places in the uk where then can launch such difficult birds, so obviously lesson 1 was the ideal time for me to have a go!

We started with a right to left crosser that seemed to be at about a mile away, but in fact was about 100 feet. This requires lots of skills that I seem to lack, firstly at the bird sails directly overhead it makes your stance much harder. I struggled to arch my back without twisting sideways. The other issue with high birds is the amount of lead required, this bird needed what I saw as 2 inches at the barrel, and eventually I killed one. The silent calculation in your head when you approach a stand like that is quite interesting, there are so many variables to include that I now see why experience counts for so much in shooting. The height, speed, wind direction, wind speed, type of cartridge, and choke etc etc, each of these will alter the amount of lead that a bird requires, and if I get all of those right then I will often have my feet in the wrong place, or my weight where it shouldn't be!

I seemed to hit more tower birds with my right eye closed...... Fletch seems to know how to get you to hit stuff that seems impossible, and one eye works for me for high stuff. Note to self, do not forget that information!

I am now starting to build up a database of knowledge for future reference, it doesn't make much sense currently, but I am confident that it will all fall into place eventually.

One of the first things I was told when I started was to stick with one instructor so as to not get confused with different methods........ I wasn't going to let that stop me though, so I set about grilling everyone I knew with any shooting knowledge at all.......... it transpires that everyone who shoots has something useful to bring to the party.

Roll on lesson 2

No comments: